The Nevernight Chronicle by Jay Kristoff | BOOK SERIES REVIEW





Nevernight : ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Godsgrave :⭐⭐⭐.5
Darkdawn : ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5

“The books we love, they love us back. And just as we mark our places in the pages, those pages leave their marks on us. I can see it in you, sure as I see it in me. You're a daughter of the words. A girl with a story to tell.”

⚔ This is probably the hardest review I have ever written 😬 The reason isn't that the books were difficult to read but the fact that I still don't know if this series or trilogy is something which I'll recommend everyone to read.

🌜This trilogy caters to the taste of a handful of people or someone who is open to read everything and anything present in this literary world.

Another factor which didn't make this book to my favorites was that I struggled to complete part 2 i.e. Godsgrave and my personal opinion is that this book would've been better as a duology but that's quite selective thinking. I actually started liking this series and you can read my experience.

🌚My experience while reading Nevernight :

🗡On page 50 : I don't understand why this book is so hyped.🤷🏻‍♀

🚬On page 100: I never thought I would like such a dark protagonist but i'm so damn impressed with Mia Corvere. 🖤⚔

💣On page 200: Why didn't I start reading this book sooner. Definitely deserves appreciation !!

⚔ On page 300: I should probably give up sleep & food & devour the rest of book.

🔻On last page : I want more of this world !!

And this experience didn't translate to the next part, Godsgrave was comparatively dull and a lot of characters were added to the storyline which just made the plot seem bigger 😣 and made this a more dragged book.

And coming to Darkdawn - I completed this book in 2 days and it isn't small, it's approx 500 pages and this was better than the previous two parts but maybe I felt that because I was completely smitten with Mia Corvere and it seems she is carrying the weight of the whole trilogy on her shoulders.

So who is Mia Corvere and why should you read and invest your time to read this trilogy ?

Answer - Mia Corvere is a bad-ass assassin and killer and she's the heroine who can make you fall in love with her and this trilogy traces her journey of revenge and how and where her destiny takes her from being an orphan to a trained cold blooded assassin. (She's a touch darker than Black widow)

Fused with action packed killing and swearing (this book is full of profanity and cursing); there is another layer of fantasy which runs parallel to the whole story. Mia is accompanied by many people on her journey and they are all equally important and interesting.

Moreover we have the famous humour of Jay Kristoff which he wittingly adds in his footnotes, and all throughout the book you find yourself either wide-eyed or laughing or smiling.

Few points to Note: This is not a Fantasy genre book, it's more of an adult Fiction / Fantasy with a lot of dark, macabre sort of theme & profuse use of crass words!

This trilogy is not for people who like to have a clear image of their protagonist because Mia Corvere is full of different shades of black, grey and white. The story takes several turns and just when you think you can predict what's going to happen; things change.

If you are the kind of person who stay away from books which involve a lot of killing, swearing and violence which glorifies blood & gore then this series is not for you. (Go read 'Illuminae' by the same author- it's mind blowing)

* Do not take the page numbers written above too seriously 😝, they are written to give you an idea about my reading experience ! I don't even remember what is exactly on these page numbers 🙊


Comments

Popular Posts